(BPT) – Hacking away aimlessly is best left for the Halloween horror films. To help create your best Jack-O’-Lantern this fall, consider the following tips from the experts at Pumpkin Masters®, creators of the world’s first pumpkin-carving kit.
‘Pumpkin carving is a fun, but sometimes frustrating tradition when we focus on trying to create the picture-perfect pumpkin,’ says Patsy Fox, chief marketing officer, Pumpkin Masters. ‘At Pumpkin Masters, we believe the key is to make it easy for families to enjoy their time together by trying a few simple hacks so they can focus on the moment, not just the masterpiece.’
- Pick the right pumpkin: Pick a pumpkin with a nice, flat surface that can stand upright. Match the pumpkin to your pattern to get the right proportion.
- Prep your table: Save yourself time and mess by covering your table with a tablecloth or newspapers before you start carving. Keep a pack of wipes handy for easy clean-up.
- Bottoms up: When you’re carving an opening in your pumpkin to scoop out the seeds, carve out the bottom of the pumpkin – not the top.
- Get rid of the guts: Kids love getting messy, so let them scoop out the seeds! Scrape the pumpkin wall to about an inch thick before carving. Roast the seeds for a special treat.
- Grab the right tools: Pumpkin Masters® offers a variety of tools, decorations and patterns to make carving a masterpiece easy and safe.
- Apply your pattern: Cover the cut lines of your pattern with transparent tape. This will waterproof the pattern and reinforce it, so you can carve right through it.
- Get carving: When carving your pumpkin, start from the inside and carve the outermost edges last. Pumpkin Masters® patterns are numbered according to the order you should carve, making it easy.
- Light it up: Never use a candle! Keep your family safe by using a battery-powered pumpkin light, which come in a variety of fun colors and effects.
- Preserve your pumpkin: Cover your carved pumpkin in plastic wrap and refrigerate it when not on display. You can also spritz it with water to refresh it.
- Don’t have time to carve or decorate? Download the Pumpkin Masters® Carve Your Selfie App to create a fun and shareable pumpkin with your face on it! The app is available on the Apple App Store https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id1491958901 or Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wwapps.pumpkinmasters.